Reads to Remember

The most-loved novel at LWC

The most-loved novel at LWC

In English classes from freshman to senior year of high school, the district curriculum provides teachers with a choice of books to read with their classes in order to teach particular skills . Whether you love or hate reading for school, there is a good chance that you have a favorite book that you have read with the class. After interviewing several students from freshmen to seniors, two books from freshmen year continue to be the favorite of most students. 

The first book that stays a fan favorite all throughout most student’s high school years is the famous To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. To Kill a Mockingbird is a story about a girl who sees her father fight racism in a town of prejudice by doing something unheard of at the time: defending a black man for a crime that he didn’t commit. This beautiful novel fights hatred and racism in the unjust South and has won a Pulitzer Prize. With the amount of people who know and love this book worldwide, there is no wonder as to why it is so loved among Lincoln-Way Central’s students and teachers. 

The other book that has made a mark on the memories of many is Animal Farm by George Orwell. This novella tells a story of animals who take over their owner’s farm after being pushed past the limit and neglected. The animal’s revolution gradually goes south as the animals start to behave no better than the very humans that they overthrew. Throughout the entire novella, Animal Farm is flooded with symbolism and secret meanings. It’s a book that seems so simple until you open the cover, and the story is one to remember.  

With many more great reads continually being added to the curriculum, hopefully students will be able to add many more memorable reads to their lists!