LWC Alumn: Alex Broadhurst

photo credit:  yahoo sports

photo credit: yahoo sports

Where do students go after Lincoln-Way? There are many opportunities for Central’s graduates beyond high school. Alex Broadhurst is one of the many success stories in Central’s history. Alex grew up in New Lenox with the desire to play professional hockey. Like many Illinois-natives, he adored the Blackhawks and dreamed of playing for them if he ever made it big. He spent most of his time during high school playing at the nearby Arctic Ice Arena in Orland Park for the Chicago Chill, which is where Lincoln-Way’s hockey team often plays today. Wanting to up his game, he took a big risk and joined the Green Bay Gamblers, a junior league team that was clearly a long way from home. Competitive hockey takes a lot of travel time; however ,to prove his dedication and work-ethic to the sport, this long-distance travel was worth every minute for Broadhurst. In 2011, his work paid off after he received a phone call from the Chicago Blackhawks. In an interview through the Orland Park Patch, he explained that the organization was “telling me I had been drafted. The first person I called was [my brother] Terry. I wasn’t expecting to get drafted. I look up to Jonathan Toews… I have a real chance to play with [him].” His brother Terry also played hockey, but where Alex attended Lincoln-Way Central, Terry attended the rivaling Providence Catholic High School. Both boys worked hard to be noticed by Chicago’s organization at prospect camps and preseason games. Alex spent much of his time playing in the American League, or the Blackhawk’s feeder team, the Rockford Icehogs. He was recently traded, however, to the Columbus Blue Jackets in a multiplayer deal alongside Brandon Saad (not bad company), but with such a young and developing team, he has more of a chance to play in the NHL than ever, showing that patience and persistence really do pay off. He looks to start his first season with Columbus this season, hoping to spark something with his new team.