North closing and class rank

Photo courtesy of The Chicago Tribune

It is not news that Lincoln-Way North will be closed for the 2016-2017 school year. Students who were enrolled in Lincoln-Way North will be moved to Lincoln-Way East. Many students will be attending other schools in the Lincoln-Way District as of next year. Because there will only be three Lincoln-Way schools running next year and students will be relocated, some of the schools will have more students in attendance. The larger that the student body is, the more people there are to compete against for class rank. Colleges are not as interested in class rank anymore, but they are still concerned with a student’s GPA. The class rank has been calculated by the order of a student’s GPA. The student with the highest GPA is ranked number one. The Lincoln-Way District honors students who achieve a high class rank by holding a Top 15 Breakfast and with graduation titles like Valedictorian and Salutatorian. However, many districts in the area, have done away with class rank and naming graduation titles many years ago.

But, if colleges are not as interested in class rank anymore, why should students be? Well, students are still required to submit class rank at many large state universities. This is a result of the number of applicants that these universities receive; it is one more way to separate the cream from the crop for admissions counselors. Also, most scholarships have students submit their class ranks. With the price of college increasing over the past years, it is important to many students to earn scholarships. With the Lincoln-Way schools having more students, there will be more competition for a higher class rank. But, there is the possibility that the district may go the way of other school districts in the area and eliminate the extra statistic. Until a decision is made, students should not disregard their class rank, but at the same time, should not panic about the possibility of this archaic tradition disappearing as it does not hold the same importance it once did in the collegiate world.

Information from this article was gathered on professionals.collegeboard.com