Avenue Q…& A

Last year, our school had the idea of producing our high school production of Little Shop of Horrors. This is a classic musical, almost everyone knows of this classic horror tale even if you aren’t a huge fan of Broadway productions. You don’t need to have seen Hamilton in New York to be in the know of this man-eating plant. 

But as you’re well aware, COVID-19 thwarted a majority of any fun activities. Sadly, this included Little Shop of Horrors. 

Even though I don’t have any musical talent, as a huge fan of our great musical productions. I had the pleasure of being backstage for Legally Blonde my freshman year, and I have actively participated backstage since then. 

I was beyond excited when I found out that we were having a Musical this year- but it was a musical I had never heard of before. Avenue Q.

I sat through a single practice, after being accepted into stage-crew, and was immediately surprised by the vocal performances of our more musically gifted peers. Even once I listened to the original cast recording, I remain convinced that Lincoln-Way Central’s very own students sound much better compared to the 2004 Broadway cast. 

Thankfully enough, I was gifted with the pleasure of interviewing some of the cast members! Here are my interviews with three amazing juniors! Madelyn Husenger, Justin Eckert, and Jessica Skonesey. Here are their interviews!

Q: Please state your name and year.

A: Madelyn Husenger and I’m a junior. 

Q: Is this your first year participating in the musical?

A: This is not my first year doing the musical, I have been doing it since my freshman year when we did Legally Blonde. 

Q: What is your favorite part of being in the Avenue Q?

A: My favorite part of being in Avenue Q was definitely how close the cast got. This show was about a close-knit community and the cast dynamic copied that.

Q: What character(s) do you play?

A: I played a Bad Idea bear as well as an Avenue Q resident. 

Q: In your opinion, what is the musical about? Do the themes apply to you personally?

A: The musical is about adult issues explained in a little kid way. Such as finding a job or a place to live or even money, those are all big problems and challenges that we have solutions to with puppets! 

Q: How was this experience different from plays and musicals before? Despite the challenges faced to put the show together, was it still the same experience at heart?

A: It was not the same experience because we usually get a large amount of our energy from our audiences, but at heart, it was the same if not better because we got the energy from each other. 

Q: What do you think is your favorite musical memory from this year is? 

A: My favorite memory from the musical this year had to be the first day we got our puppets, we were very shy and nervous with them and we were not good at all. Then with practice, I can look back on that first day and laugh. 

Q: What would you say to any future students who’d want to join the musical?

A: If you want to join the musical, do it. It is such a welcoming community that any doubts you have in your head get put to rest. Be yourself and have fun because you will quickly realize we are all crazy theater kids.

Q: Finally, do you have anything else you’d like to add? 

A: That’s all, thanks for listening!

Q: Please state your name and year.

A: Justin Eckert, and I’m a junior.

A: This is my third year participating in musical theatre at LWC. 

A: My favorite part was getting to be around people I’m don’t normally see during school and get closer with people I already know.

Q: What character(s) do you play?

A: I play Trekkie Monster!

A: To me, the musical is about growing up and finding out that life has many challenges to overcome with people, with occupations, and with your overall purpose in life. The themes that Avenue Q conveys do apply to my personal life and I think it’s great that anyone can relate this show to their own experiences.

Q: How was this experience different from plays and musicals before?

A: Masks, social distancing, maneuvering a two-person puppet, all things I hadn’t done before this year, and created a new way of approaching musical theatre.

Q: Despite the challenges faced to put the show together, was it still the same experience at heart?

A: I believe that without all the challenges we would’ve had a greater and more meaningful experience but I also believe that it is significant to recognize the amount of work myself and my peers have accomplished with all these obstacles.

A: My favorite musical memory has to be when I saw Brian Cummins, Jay Bettenhausen, and Jackson Lejeune perform “Fantasies” for the first time.

A: You will meet a lot of great people and accomplish great things if you keep your mind to the craft. Go for it and don’t be afraid to try new things.

A: Nope, That’s all! Thanks!

Q: Please state your name and year.

A: Jessica Skonesey, Junior, Class of 2022.

A: Third-year participation of LWC musicals

The unity of everyone working together to create an amazing show 

Q: What character(s) do you play?

A: Christmas Eve

A: Avenue Q is about the motivation to find one’s purpose in life, or rather the direction one should take to accomplish one lifes’ mission. I believe this theme not only applies to me but to everyone who is a part of or watching the show!

A: This theatre performance is much different from previous musical experiences because it revolves around an important topic that impacts and affects everyone 

A: I loved spending time with people during rehearsals even if I had to stay away 6 feet often. The laughs and treasured moments were no less enjoyable than the previous years.

A: My favorite musical memory this year was when a couple of friends in the cast and I danced to our musical songs in the LWC parking lot after a night rehearsal 

A: It’s amazing to be a part of something bigger than yourself, you’re going to make new friends, amazing memories, and overall have the experience of performing in front of others 

A: Sure! Here’s my favorite picture from the musical!